It’s beginning to look more and more like Mike Pence is running for President. Or, at the very least that he’ll be campaigning against Donald Trump in 2024, one way or another.
Pence’s relationship with Trump has turned sour, beginning in the days after the January 6th attempted insurrection, and continuing to swirl the drain over the course of the following months.
Now, with Pence beginning to hint at a potential run for the Presidency in 2024, his take on the events of that day appear to be ever-more focused in Donald Trump’s direction.
Former Vice President Mike Pence said in an exclusive interview with ABC’s “World News Tonight” anchor David Muir that former President Donald Trump’s rhetoric was “reckless” as a mob of his supporters ransacked the Capitol last year — with Pence and others temporarily forced into hiding.
“I mean, the president’s words were reckless. It was clear he decided to be part of the problem,” Pence told Muir.
Pence said he was “angered” over a tweet from Trump as the insurrection unfolded, when the former president said he “didn’t have the courage to do what should have been done” after he rebuffed pressure to not certify now-President Joe Biden’s 2020 victory.
“I turned to my daughter, who was standing nearby, and I said, ‘It doesn’t take courage to break the law. It takes courage to uphold the law,'” Pence, who is releasing the memoir “So Help Me God” on Tuesday, told Muir in his first network TV interview since the insurrection.
Pence would continue, telling Muir:
“The president’s words were reckless and his actions were reckless,” he told Muir this week. “The president’s words that day at the rally [before the riot] endangered me and my family and everyone at the Capitol building.”
Pence had not made any official statements regarding his potential bid for the GOP nomination, but he had suggested that he and his family are planning to discuss the possibility in due time.