For weeks now, the American electorate has been fed a story about Donald Trump, “classified” documents, and Mar-a-Lago. Now, the former President’s legal team is taking control of that narrative.
The story, at least according to the mainstream media, is that Trump absconded with state secrets to his golf resort in Florida, for what purpose no one truly knows. This has led to irresponsible speculation in the infotainment industry, and all manner of slander against the former President.
Now, his lawyers are pushing back.
Former President Trump’s legal team opposed the Justice Department’s motion to continue its review of classified documents seized by the FBI during its raid of Mar-a-Lago last month, slamming the entire investigation as “unprecedented and misguided,” and one that has “spiraled out of control,” while stressing that the government has not yet proven that the records “remain classified.”
In a filing Monday morning, Trump’s legal team said the Justice Department is seeking to “limit the scope of any review of its investigative conduct and presuppose the outcome, at least in regard to what it deems are ‘classified records.’”
Trump’s troops eviscerated the case.
“This investigation of the 45th President of the United States is both unprecedented and misguided,” Trump’s lawyers said in the filing. “In what at its core is a document storage dispute that has spiraled out of control, the Government wrongfully seeks to criminalize the possession by the 45th President of his own Presidential and personal records.”
Trump’s legal team added that the court’s order “is a sensible preliminary step towards restoring order from chaos.”
“The Government should therefore not be permitted to skip the process and proceed straight to a preordained conclusion,” they wrote.
Trump has denied any wrongdoing in the case, and has repeatedly explained that the documents in question were declassified by he himself before he left office.